Friday, March 30, 2012

Once Upon a Time..


Once upon a time, in a little city called Plattsburgh, lived a hungry little cardinal with the tenacity and courage of a lion... Okay who am I kidding, I am an elementary ed major, not an author of books for elementary school kids, although that did not sound too bad.

How is everyone doing on this brisk Thursday night? I hope all you readers are in a warm comfortable environment and if you are, stay there, if you are not so lucky, like myself, well layer up! It is amazing how fast the days go by when I think of the last time I blogged. I have been overwhelmed with a couple of midterms and student teaching, and things have just been moving so fast.

I apologize, I am just not full of words tonight which is shocking. I left you last time before we left for Morrisville. Man what a ride that was, can we say middle of nowhere? After finally arriving we began warming up. The opposing team then came marching down hootin' and hollerin'.. REAL trash talkers! I think that they expected that to intimidate us but instead it just pissed us off. We used this anger to come out with a quick 6-goal quarter that was enough to hold them off. After a hot first quarter we did not play with the same intensity but still managed to accomplish what we set out for. Although we pulled off the W, it felt as though our minds were focused on the week to come. Even though this win felt good, we wanted to get a win that would prove our legitimacy. We knew that the next two games (Clarkson and Cortland) would be the perfect opportunity.

I was going into this game having never lost to Clarkson. We knew that this team would be more challenging this year having been a young team who were finally coming together. The game came down to two things, time of possession and penalties. Clarkson did a good job of keeping the ball away from our best players, and we just could not find a way to give our man-down defense and Gordie a break. It is the interesting aspect of the game of lacrosse which often gets overlooked, TOP. Time of possession is huge. You can have Paul Rabil, Mikey Powell, and even Rory Pedrick all on the same team and if you limit their touches, you could beat the best of them all. Now, nothing against Travers, Brett, or Tommy, but they are no Paul Rabil. However, they are some of our best players and when they play more defense than offense, something is not going the way you want it to. Well anyways, I guess you can tell where this is going. We lost 10-7 in a game where they just played to their strengths better then we did.

Now the point of this blog was to catch everyone up, put the 2012 spring break video up, and finally talk about Cortland. Well your caught up, and the video is still uploading, so Cortland it is. What more is there to say? #2 team in the nation, plays fast and tough, the favorites in just about every game they play, and the list could continue but then I would sound like I am a fan, and I am not...Is this not why sports are played? Is this not why we workout so hard in the off-season? A lot of the guys especially my year, know what it feels like to get stomped on by them two years in a row. I think this year we know what we have to do, we know how we must play almost perfect, but that is what we have prepared to do, and we know it will not be easy, nothing worth anything ever is, but that is what makes it worth while.
Personally, I just do not want this season to be looked at as being a team who beat up on weak teams and got bent over by stronger teams.

Tomorrow we have a 7:30 AM practice to go over some things for Saturday. We leave at 3pm for our hotel in Cortland. I need to get some shut eye for this practice, but before I go, what you have allllllll been waiting for.. The 2012 Spring Break video...

-Enjoy Mike Santi


sikkke.. due too some seriousssssssssss complications this video has been edited probably 15 times and I can am still having problems with YouTube. These copyright laws and regulations really chap my @ss..  it will be out soon

No comments:

Post a Comment