Sunday, February 13, 2011

And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on

So we have hit the two week mark in practice and things are starting to really flow. The younger guys are getting the hang of the drills, and how much fun 160's are.

For those of you that don't know, a "160" stands for 1 lap around our wonderful indoor track which measures out to about 160 yards or a tenth of a mile. As I write this however I just looked online and found out that a mile is 1,760 yards. A tenth of that is 176 yards which clearly isn't 160 yards but I guess 160 just rolls off the tongue better. Regardless of their exact measurement they are terrible. The only thing I can compare them to are a little workout we used to do during my high school wrestling years entitled "P.A.T.'s" which is short for Pain Agony and Torture. You get the idea.

On a side note, I'd like to personally thank whoever designed our field house for having the brilliant idea of putting a track inside. I understand we have a track team and they need to practice but I still will have some choice words for you if I ever meet you.

Saturday practices are always fun because we mix things up a bit and get away from the standard drills. This weekend we had the pleasure of welcoming assistant coach Ryan Cavanagh's girlfriend to practice. Wouldn't you know she has a background in personal training. Awesome.

All kidding aside we had a great hour of workouts before we got to have some fun. We really appreciate her coming out for the day to help us.

The real fun started when we broke up into two teams and scrimmaged. I have to give props to my housemate and midfielder "Seany Utah" Jaquin who had four goals I believe. Also sophomore Will "Todd Heap" Lehmann had a big day at the face off X. I know other people had good games but I can't think off the top of my head. In the end sophomore middie Tommy Kilderry scored the game winner. All in all it was a great time and nice way to end a tough week of practices.

We are creeping closer and closer to our season opener against West Conn on March 4 in Danbury,CT. Definitely looking forward to it as they always give us a tough game.

So I did a little exploring on this site and I found out I can actually see how many page views we have had. Well since our inception in the Spring of 2010 we have had 2,539 unique visits to the page. That's awesome! Personally I am shooting for 10 grand before I leave.

Here's the really cool part, I can actually see where the views are coming from. No, not literally, so don't worry about putting pants on. Now you would think a majority of those views are from America and you of course would be right, with the good ole U.S. of A. accounting for 2,153 views. That still leaves 386 unaccounted for views . Immediately I thought of this scene from "Rocket Man".


Who is our second biggest fan? Probably those crazy Canucks to the North right? Wrong. Germany comes in with 71 views. I love that. In my head there's a little kid eating a huge bratwurst with his lacrosse stick and a Plattsburgh Lacrosse t-shirt reading my blog everyday. The rest of the list goes as follows.

Canada: 53 (Obvious pick considering how close we are to them)
Russia: 48 (Moscow might be the only place worst than Plattsburgh in the winter)
United Kingdom: 30 (I'd bet my life savings that every one of these is by someone with the last name Tyers)
Netherlands: 27 (Sophomore Ryan Phillips played on their national team this summer)
Latvia: 21 (They drive on the right side of the road over there too!)
India: 18 (When your country has a trillion people you're bound to have some lax bros)
Italy: 18 (The good old mother country)
Brazil: 13 (IF YOU ARE A FEMALE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 18 AND 30 PLEASE CONTACT ME)

I found this all very interesting so anyone that is viewing the blog from another country besides America please contact me at d.j.defrancesco@gmail.com. I would love to hear how or why you are following Plattsburgh Lacrosse and I am sure the readers would to. Who knows maybe I can hook you up with something = ) .

Arcade Fire won the Grammy for album of the year. I am gonna sound like a complete hipster and arrogant music fan but, hey wait a minute, that name sounds familiar. Oh I know why, I posted their first single off that album on my first blog post of the year back in September. Don't believe me? Can I call em or can call em.

To our commrads in Mother Russia I leave you with this:
Karl Marx once served as a European correspondent for The New York Tribune.

"There are things known, and there are things unknown, And in between are the Doors"
Well said Jimmy
-DeFran






No comments:

Post a Comment