Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Allow myself to introduce...myself

Today was the annual senior awards banquet. A couple of our guys took home some awards.

Tucker Glass was inducted into Chi Alpha Sigma which is a national student-athlete honor society. Tucker also received the Provost Academic Award for having one of the five highest GPA's of student athletes for the Fall 2010 semester. Tucker's a solid student and one day he is going to be a great history teacher.

He does not, however, agree with me that the best way to teach American history to high school students would be to base a curriculum around Forrest Gump and Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". Everything of importance that has happened to America over the past 60 years is covered in those two pieces of media. We should make kids watch Forrest Gump while listening to Billy killing it on the keys. It'd be like watching The Wizard of Oz to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon album. My head just exploded.

Kyle Norchi was nominated for SUNY Plattsburgh's male athlete of the year award. Unfortunately he didn't win it. Still an honor to be considered and we are all proud of him.

Finally it's time for me to toot my own horn a tad. I received the Dr. Richard D. Semmler Award. This is given annually to the male and female senior athlete with the highest cumulative GPA. I'm the first, and hopefully not last, lacrosse player to receive this award. I'd just like to thank...well actually no one. I was the one who had to do all the work and take all the tests. What did you do?

Just kidding.

Honestly just a quick thank you to my parents who drove into my skull that contrary to popular belief college was not a four year long party. Still to this day I remember what my father told me when he dropped me of at my dorm...

"You can have one semester of fun or four years of fun...it's your choice. See you at Thanksgiving"

Wise words from a wise man. Also quick thank you to my sister. She was the guinea pig who went through the system first and I had the advantages of seeing how it was done. I definitely look up to her for what she has accomplished.

Jesus, I should probably stop, it's not like I won an Oscar.

I will say this. The whole time I was walking up I could only think of one thing.



Our team awards got moved to Thursday so more awards to come.

Until then think about this:

According to some estimates, Americans are sitting on $30 billion worth of unredeemed gift cards.
-DeFran

No comments:

Post a Comment