Monday, May 16, 2011

I saw the way your friend Mauricio looked at me; I thought he was going to shoot me with a tranquilizer gun and tag my ear.

I guess I've been dreading this one for awhile...

With our team awards done there is not much left for me to talk about. Come Saturday I won't even be a college student anymore. I feel old already.

First off lets announce the winners of our team awards:

Team Appreciation Award: Assistant Coach Ryan Cavanagh (He will be so pumped I used a photo of when he played back in 1986)

Coach Cavanagh was the brainchild behind St. Baldricks these past two seasons which raised over $15,000 for children's cancer research. His efforts to bring the foundation onto campus this year hopefully will be the beginning of an annual tradition not just for the lacrosse team but the entire campus. I've known coach since my freshman year and I don't just consider him a great coach but a good friend. Without him the defense could not have achieved what it did.

Rookie of the Year: LSM, Charlie Dullea

An All-SUNYAC honorable mention pick this year, Chuck did it all for us this year. Eleven points (7,4), 33 GBs, and 24 caused turnovers (second only to yours truly) are impressive numbers for a freshman.


Most Improved Player: Defense, Will Folgherait

The Bird to my Magic, Will came in this season more motivated than ever. He was in the best shape of his life and it showed on the field. In the battle for feeling relevant among the close defenseman Will led the unit with 43 GBs despite playing in two fewer games than me and Lind. It took every ounce of self control in my body to write that last sentence.


Coaches Award for Leadership: Defense, Dan DeFrancesco

I am a bo$$. Nuff said.


Defensive MVP: Goalie, Danny Caufield

He might not have won WPTZ's play of the week but he was pretty good in our book. He finished with a .580 save percentage and was a rock for us in the net during crunch time. If only he could get some better field swag.

Offensive MVP: Attack, Pete Morgan

The smooth operator. This kid always kept his cool during games. Finished with 52 points (26,26) and is probably the only crease attackman in the country that led his team in assists. Basically ran the man up and gives one of the best no look passes this side of the Mississippi.

MVP: Attack, Kyle Norchi

Was this really even up for debate? Kyle had another monster season with 69 points (51,18). A 1st team ALL-SUNYAC honoree, he was our most valuable player. Period.


Kyle was also invited to the annual North-South senior all-star game. The game will be played on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend at Goucher College.

Well that about wraps it up folks. Keep tabs on the blog just in case anything of importance happens to the program. I just want to say I had a blast writing the past two years. It was a lot of fun and I hope all of you enjoyed it.

I'm not good at goodbyes so...yea.

-DeFran

1 comment:

  1. Sorry this has to end. You did a great job with the blog! Best luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete